[c-nsp] ip helper within L3VPN

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Jun 5 16:39:48 EDT 2012

I'm having trouble getting dhcp ip helper to work (ip helper on a vrf
interface of a asr9k 4.1.2)

Dhcp server------ce1----pe1---p1-----p2-----p3-----pe2-------dhcp client
locally connected subnet

I would think that pe2 wound need to have ip helper on the interface that is
locally connected to dhcp client as usual with ip helper.

When I put ip helper on that interface it default to "vrf default"...even
though the interface is  BVI10 - vrf one

Is that supposed to be that way ?

I mean if I have my dhcp server on the other side of that l3vpn, should the
ip helper statement be ipv4 helper 1.1.1.1 vrf one 192.168.100.1 ?

Also, is there something else I need to do to make this work?  I'm seeing NO
packets at the dhcp server at all.  Pings from vrf asr interface to dhcp
server work fine

Aaron