[c-nsp] yearly reviews

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jun 11 07:23:29 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 18:10 -0500, chris stand wrote:
> My new manager has asked me to provide some slf improvment goals and I
> am not sure what would be considered appropriate to bring up - lack of
> corporate training or my working 60 hour weeks.

Where I work we have yearly "employee development" dialogues. It follows
a rather strict template from Human Ressources where the employee and
the manager together try to answer questions about both personal and
professional goals for the employee. Each question is rated 1-5
regarding how well it is now and how well it should be.

In the "professional questions" group are e.g. "Troubleshooting", "Core
routing", "Wireless" and others. The senior employees from each
department have helped form these questions. Personal questions are
about whether the amount of work scheduled suits both parties, if the
specific workplace hours suits everyone and stuff like that. In between
are questions about training and certifications.

It's supposed to be something that benefits both the employee and the
employer though that may not always be visible. :-)

> Any ideas of what you write or if you are management what you like to
> see from your staff ?  I am not asking to put down "stock" answers but
> rather to see what are common areas to improve - I do have the
> customer talking part down pretty good.

Want to change work hours? Want to get a specific certification and/or
course? Want to start doing other things, managing or stuff like that?

It's things like that I'd write down.

--
Peter