[c-nsp] VS-S720-10G (6509 VSS Engine) 10G Port Issue

Brandon Ewing nicotine at warningg.com
Tue Jun 12 10:38:29 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:28:27PM +0800, Xu Hu wrote:
> We bought VS-S720-10G engine for VSS in 6509, but now the customer don't
> want use the VSS mode, they just want to use that as normal engine.
>
> So now we are wondering if we use the 10G port for normal Layer2 or Layer3
> traffic, will it impact our engine performance or CPU utilization? Is there
> any detail document talking about this?
>
> If ok, then by default, each engine will have two X2 port, so totally we
> will have four 10G port to use as normal data transmission?
>
> Will appreciate for any reply, please share with me with your experience
> about this case.

We successfully converted a pair of VSS switches into two standalone
switches without issue, but continuing to use the supervisor 10GE ports as a
20GE port channel between the two switches.  We have had no issues with
performance on the ports.

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine at warningg.com)