[c-nsp] ASR9000/RSP440 Console Issue

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jun 13 17:23:29 EDT 2012

On 13/06/2012 20:57, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Just heard that Nexus7k SUP2 does not have CMP. According to Ron Fuller and
> Tim Stevenson customers didn't need it.
> Here I was hoping we'd finally start getting OOB for routers and switches.

This is a Real Switch for Real Operators.  If you want proper OOB, go out
and buy yourself some crappy €800 server with iDRAC, ILO or RSA, any of
which will give you full remote console access, power cycle control and
comprehensive management software.

Real Operators don't need proper OOB.  They drive to lights-out facilities
at 02:00 in the morning and praise their vendors at loud volume for
providing them with the opportunity for showing off their operational
machismo by hitting a power switch in person.

Man up, Saku.

Nick