[c-nsp] ASR9000/RSP440 Console Issue

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 14 02:03:28 EDT 2012

On (2012-06-13 23:03 +0200), Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:

> You still get true OoB management on the N7K Sup2, just not the CMP
> interface.

Ask your servers guys if RS232 fate-sharing main OS is OOB. They've gotten
this right for over decade.

> That being said, the CMP can't have added much cost to the sup, so since
> there are (corner) use cases where it makes sense, it's still kind of
> strange that they've dropped it.

No. Considering Intel mobo with proper OOB costs like <80EUR.

On CMP you can upload images, on on-band RS232 you cannot (most don't even
support anymore and even those which do it's not practical, as it takes
less time time go on-site, short of moon nazis Internet, and while they pay
well, we thought it was unethical to provide connectivity).
On CMP you can build cheap OOB network (eth switches cost nothing compared
to proper RS232 server like Avocent)
CMP has better latency, much nicer to work over than RS232

Who has not ever had problem with Cisco or Juniper where RS232 has been
dead? Maybe it was pilot error (image deleted, box reloaded), maybe it was
software defect hard crashing it or reloading in loop. Maybe it was simply
newly istalled box delivered without image.

I'd say kill the on-band RS232 and roll CMP only.
--
  ++ytti