[c-nsp] VPLS and BPDU

Daniel Verlouw daniel at shunoshu.net
Thu Jun 14 06:19:28 EDT 2012

 On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Saku Ytti wrote:

So would your interpretation of VLAN based options be, that tunneling means
explicitly frames which have STP DMAC during transit? If I've changed the
STP DMAC for EVP-LAN transit, I'm not sending STP DMAC and I'm not
violating the requirement of peering STP?

my understanding is that you, as provider of the service, cannot do that.
MEF doesn't have a notion of 'in transit', it only describes the end-to-end
service parameters from the customer' perspective.
Tunneling means passing the L2CP frame without change across the -service-.
If you rewrite on ingress and revert to the original mac on egress,
effectively that's unmodified.
For vlan-based services, table C states must *not* tunnel. Then step 2
comes into play which states peer or discard.

If the -customer- would rewrite the dst mac prior to ingressing into your
service, that would be fine.

To be honest, I don't understand why MEF states it must not be tunneled on
any of the vlan-based services, and if someone from MEF or a MEF-member is
lurking, I'd love to hear some good reasoning for this as well :-)

--
Daniel.