[c-nsp] ASR9000/RSP440 Console Issue

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 14 08:13:10 EDT 2012

On (2012-06-14 12:53 +0100), Tim Franklin wrote:

> Or to install remote power bars and console servers *once* per rack, and have *one* scriptable interface regardless of how many different types of equipment you connect to it.  Not for every case, but sometimes rolling my own OOB makes more sense than paying the vendor extra to provide me with another different one.

Avocent to on-band RS232 compared to switch to out-of-band ethernet are
equally homogeneous. You connect to them in standard way (true out-of-band
ssh, telnet) once you are connected, you're on your own in both cases,
interface is heterogeneous

Sure for power-cycle you can do it same way for each system. But we're not
arguing managed power supply versus CMP. We're arguing on-band RS232 versus
out-of-band ethernet.

--
  ++ytti