[c-nsp] NTP Servers

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Jun 23 09:55:50 EDT 2012

On 23/06/2012 06:38, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> Agreed - If it were only me, I too would run a couple of boxes, but this
> is an enterprise site.
>
> Unfortunately the team here has little unix know how which is why I am
> looking for appliances. The plan is that all the network infracture and
> wireless gear - mostly cisco would use these servers - so no more than
> 10000 devices - would like something with a stable clock however. We
> have already had some authentication issues due to times being in the
> future.

On the face of it, I'd say that appliances with a support contract were by
far the most appropriate tools for this sort of application.  If you're
having authentication issues (presumably with OTP systems), then this will
have a direct financial implication to the company.

If you have 10k networking device client devices, then the annualised 5Y
TCO (or whatever your depreciation period) of a distributed cluster of
several accurate NTP servers will be relatively very small.

Nick