[c-nsp] NTP Servers

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sat Jun 23 10:04:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

> Agreed - but there are also the political issues to consider - server (hosting team) vs. appliance (network team).

I work in a network team. and we run servers - DNS, DHCP, NTP, RADIUS, SYSLOG, SNMP - basically all the
network related things and bits that ensure a client can use the network. from then on its
all upper layers and we dont go above layer 4  ;-)

> It is easy for *nix admins to support a free Linux environment, but unfortunately, some companies are moving away from *nix based operating systems - and as such would prefer an appliance.

..which are usually Linux boxes ;-)

> It is cheaper to buy 3 appliances than to hire 2 *nix admins to look after your 3 time servers for you.

...and who runs the appliances? who debugs the appliances when they dont do what they are expected
to do?  you might have a little more argument with something more complex like DNS/DHCP when you might
buy into some IPAM solution....but NTP?

alan