[c-nsp] NTP Servers

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Sat Jun 23 10:34:12 EDT 2012

On 24/06/2012, at 12:04 AM, alan buxey wrote:
>> Agreed - but there are also the political issues to consider - server (hosting team) vs. appliance (network team).
>
> I work in a network team. and we run servers - DNS, DHCP, NTP, RADIUS, SYSLOG, SNMP - basically all the
> network related things and bits that ensure a client can use the network. from then on its
> all upper layers and we dont go above layer 4  ;-)

Be glad! Wait until you work for a company where you don't!

>> It is easy for *nix admins to support a free Linux environment, but unfortunately, some companies are moving away from *nix based operating systems - and as such would prefer an appliance.
>
> ..which are usually Linux boxes ;-)

I thought they were just a web interface :)

>> It is cheaper to buy 3 appliances than to hire 2 *nix admins to look after your 3 time servers for you.
>
> ...and who runs the appliances? who debugs the appliances when they dont do what they are expected
> to do?  you might have a little more argument with something more complex like DNS/DHCP when you might
> buy into some IPAM solution....but NTP?

With an appliance, it is easier to outsource your support to the appliance manufacturer. The supplier is responsible for the operating system, not your own staff. As the end customer you only need to deal with the "web interface".

These simplified products have their place.

Andrew