[c-nsp] Questions on open caveats for 6500 IOS (12.2(33)SXJ train)

Andy Ellsworth andy at dar.net
Tue Jun 26 11:06:22 EDT 2012

Greetings.

I'm doing a line-by-line review of open caveats for 12.2(33)SXJ3 in
preparation for an upgrade. I'm only five caveats in, and I'm already
scratching my head, because as far as I can tell, many of these
supposedly open caveats aren't showing in bug navigator as either a)
open or b) affecting SXJ. In fact, most say they were found in/fixed
in early versions of the SXI train.

Examples from the first few bugs in the (supposedly) open caveat list for SXJ3:

 CSCsm59426 UDE/UDLR: OSPF neighbourship is not getting formed with
UDE/UDLR link
  Most recent Known-Affected Version (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX
train): 12.2(33)SXI1
  Most recent Fixed-in (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX train): 12.2(33)SXI2
  (no mention of SXJ train anywhere in the bug)

 CSCso39162 W2: SCHED-7-WATCH: Attempt to monitor... Process=
"NAM_Process" & TB's
  Most recent Known-Affected Version (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX
train): 12.2(33)SXI1
  Most recent Fixed-in (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX train): 12.2(33)SXI2
  (no mention of SXJ train anywhere in the bug)

 CSCso79135 Wism controller ports 1 state is down after mod shut/unshut
  Most recent Known-Affected Version (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX
train): 12.2(33)SXI1
  Most recent Fixed-in (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX train): 12.2(33)SXI3
  (no mention of SXJ train anywhere in the bug)

However, if I go down to the bottom of the open caveat list for SXJ,
things get more sensible:

 CSCtw45592 CLI "NTP Server < dns name>" - does not get synced to standby
  Most recent Known-Affected Version (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX
train): 12.2(33)SXJ2
  Most recent Fixed-in (for mainstream 12.2(33)SX train): N/A

Can anybody out there make sense of this in the context of a bug
review? Should I:

 - Ignore the bugs that make no mention of SXJ and are listed as Fixed
in an earlier SX train image (SXH/SXI) ?
     or
 - Assume that they have a reason for marking these old fixed bugs as
open caveats in a new train, and treat them as legitimate despite the
fact that SXJ isn't showing up at all in the KAV list?

I have a meeting with our SE (and a Cisco developer engineer) tomorrow
to discuss this, but wanted the "mob wisdom" to at least verify that
I'm not missing something.

Thanks.

-Andy