[c-nsp] ASR9K limitations

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:29:44 EDT 2012

I've been pretty happy with it overall, so far.

The things I don't like:

Not being able to insert rpl policy without having to re-do the whole
policy.  Yes, I know you can edit it with the built-in nano, emacs, or
vi editors, but that's kinda difficult to script, eh?  Also, you must
have your TERM evironment var set to vt100, if it's set to xterm it
won't work.  And yes I know you can upload it from a file, but again,
it's the whole thing.

Console port (for at least the RSP440's) requires 8n2 setting, again,
no big deal, but a bit annoying having to change stuff around.

GLC-T SFP's aren't supported, SFP-GE-T's are, this seemed to change
from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1, not the support, but the enforcement of it.

No RIP-NG support

I really wish there was a "commit and quit"

Some of the LPTS settings seem a bit low and it you must change the
settings on each line card. Add a new card, gotta add a new line of
config.

The "commit confirmed" command will default to just doing a commit if
you don't specify a time, it's counter-intuitive

I kind of miss using network statements with OSPF instead of it
getting ALL networks configured on an interface.

Using ACLs to restrict telnet/ssh access  gets strange if you use
layer-4 port definitions in your acl, just stick to source prefix.

So...so far nothing really huge or show stopping, but just little nit
picks.  I will say that there are several things it does do that's
quite nice.  Like being able to get counters for accepts/drops between
the phy-->np-->bridge-->fia is pretty handy, and there's a command to
show you the mappings.  The "monitor" capability and being able to use
things like grep and wc on show commands.  Satellite stuff is pretty
intriguing as well.

Hope that helps a bit....and if I'm wrong on any of the above, I would
LOVE some education.

Thanks!

--chip

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM, MKS <rekordmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are in the process of evaluating the ASR9K as a next gen platform
>
> I would like to ask you, what was most surprising about the platform,
> e.g. I expected that to be there, or this is a strange limitation.
> Does the ASR9K halv the tcam space like 7600 when enabling uRPF?
>
> Regards
> MKS

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....