[c-nsp] 7600 w/ WS-SUP720-3B IOS 15.x

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Jun 29 19:55:32 EDT 2012

On 6/30/12 1:24 AM, N. Max Pierson wrote:

> I think that for simplification purposes, Cisco has somewhat taken the
> confusion out of what the 'latest' train would be for any device running
> run IOS. Now it's simply 15.x/insert variable for hardware here/. I think
> they went real awry with the 7200 having 12.4(M/T) and 12.2(SRx) which
> really confused folks in regards to feature set. Not necessary IMHO.

M/T were "enterprise" feature sets, where anything with 'S' meant
Service Provider. For the CPU-driven platforms and 7600 it is still
the case.

> I've never really understood the 7600 either in regards to the hardware
> part (I'm a router, I'm a switch ... Pat from SNL anyone :)

It's a router, with switch LCs unless you're equipped with ES/ES+/SIP
linecards. Starting from Sup2T it's router even with traditional LCs,
as VLAN interfaces were coupled with the logical interface ID, and
that effectively provided VLAN independence per-port.

> Hopefully we'll be retiring this pair of 7600's soon in exchange for 7k's.

"All I want for Christmas is multi-chassis CRS-3" :D

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net