[c-nsp] Current SP Cloud Security models

Joe Freeman joe at netbyjoe.com
Tue Mar 13 08:59:15 EDT 2012

Does anyone have any info (or even links) they'd care to share on the
current state of cloud security models with regards to the managed service
provider perspective of a public cloud offering?

I'm working on a design for a public cloud offering and the security guys
are screaming that I need to implement network access control (from what
they describe, it's 802.1x) in the underlying network as they claim the
VRF/MPLS/VPLS/vlan model doesn't scale well in a cloud.

That all news to me. I've been doing SP networks for a long time, but have
never heard of a requirement for the SP to maintain 802.1x across the
network, with a master AD/Radius instance controlling access to the network
by customers and hosted servers.

I've asked them for links to where they're getting their information, but
so far haven't gotten anything definitive from them, and it's holding up
progress on this project.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc are greatly appreciated.

Joe