[c-nsp] Carrier grade NAT44 & newest Cisco boxes

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Wed Mar 14 11:12:51 EDT 2012

> We in europe have some pressure to have the ability to map the
ip/port/timestamp
> touple back to user. Of course nobody will be able to deliver the port
together
> with the ip and an accurate enough timestamp for this to be meaningfull.

Bulk Port Allocation (also called Port Range Allocation) is probably what
you're looking for.
It reduces logging requirements by several orders of magnitudes and your
timestamping
doesn't have to be as precise. This is a must to deploy any CGN, IMHO.

Coming soon to your favorite Cisco CGN implementation, apparently...

> I can see this becoming a larger problem when more nats appear on
conventional
> DSL / FTTx / Cable access products as opposed to just low bandwidth
mobile networks.

Mobile networks aren't that low bandwidth anymore. They have the same
issues with logging.

/JF