[c-nsp] Carrier grade NAT44 & newest Cisco boxes

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed Mar 14 04:38:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Xu Hu wrote:

> Actually in our 3G network, we use the 7609 (two ACE modules) for the NAT,
> in the live situation, we had 4M users.
> It is quite stable for now.
> Also we bought the ASR9K to expand the 3G network, maybe will migrate the
> NAT to ASR9K.

I am curios if and if how you are doing logging for law enforment purposes on that scale ?

We in europe have some pressure to have the ability to map the ip/port/timestamp touple back to user. Of course nobody will be able to deliver the port together with the ip and an accurate enough timestamp for this to be meaningfull.

I can see this becoming a larger problem when more nats appear on conventional DSL / FTTx / Cable access products as opposed to just low bandwidth mobile networks.

Greetings
Christian

> Xu Hu
> 2012/3/14 Ruslan Pustovoitov <rus-p at mostelekom.net>
>
>> The question was what strategy of NAT deployment can be accepted by large
>> ISP if one of the internal condition to use only cisco boxes for NAT ?
>> Hidden cost was always visible to engeneers )
>> Now It is time to pay )
>>
>> Has cisco plan to announce in next two year sucsessor of ISM-100 with
>> better performance ?
>> For example, if ISP already has asr9k chassis placed everywere in it's
>> network, it will be happy to know that in 2013 cisco planning to do another
>> card which will seat instead of ISM-100 into the same chassis.
>>

>> Gert Doering ?????:
>>
>>  Hi,

>>> I think it's great that the hidden costs that come with running IPv4
>>> now start being openly visible...
>>>
>>> Sorry, what was the question?
>>>
>>> gert

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer