[c-nsp] Internet inside a VRF?

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:23:45 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 14 March 2012 22:04, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:12:02PM +1300, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
>> In my previous role we've done just that. One internet VRF for all
>> transit functions, separate vrfs for peering and customers and
>> import-export statements to tie them all together.
>
> What is the benefit?  The obvious drawback is "much more complicated,
> more possible ways things can blow up, and more effort to setup and
> maintain".

Easy separation into 'infrastructure' and 'services' spaces. From that
perspective internet is just another service that's being offered.
Ability to offer connectivity to resources only as required; so for
example someone needs only domestic/peering and not full transit -
they connection vrf only imports particular RT and it's all sorted.

kind regards
Pshem