[c-nsp] Carrier grade NAT44 & newest Cisco boxes

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Fri Mar 23 13:48:21 EDT 2012

> But I am not sure if regulator can send port number with IP address.
> Without port number bulk port allocation will be useless feature.

This is why RFC6302 was written (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6302).

The source port will be required for any law enforcement or abuse case,
because a timestamp and all connections logs aren't usually enough
to prove the connection comes from a specific user on popular
destinations.

Anyway, good luck logging everything. For a large ISP, we're talking about
petabytes of data over a year. Bulk/range port allocation is a must IMHO.

/JF