[c-nsp] nexus 7K COPP ARP traffic?

Jeffrey G. Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 26 11:54:42 EDT 2012

I am trying to understand if ALL ARP (requests ) packets that a nexus 7K sees, need to be punted to the CPU and therefor managed by COPP policies / rate-limits?

Over the weekend we had a data loop that cooked the CPU and we are trying to understand what packets that were control plane processed, caused the CPU load.

We currently have a Nexus 7k running 5.2.1, that only has L2 interfaces, other than the management VRF port.   I would think that the CPU would never have to process any ARP requests for non-management traffic since it does not have any L3 interfaces.

My understanding is that other sites have had similar issues and changing the COPP profile stopped  the CPU form being saturated during this kind of event.

The COPP profile can be ( lenient, moderate, strict ).

Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Netwrok Systems
Princeton University