[c-nsp] ISIS and MTU mismatch

Kevin Hodle kevin.hodle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:32:42 EDT 2012

Hi Jason,

   A few things you might check, run the command show clns interface
xx/xx on each terminating interface

* usually the CLNS MTU != the IP MTU and may be system/platform
dependent. You can set this with 'clns mtu xxxx' under the interface
config.

* Check if either side has hello padding enabled, which pads the hello
PDU to the interface's clns MTU. The default for the 7600 should off
but no idea with the ME series, lack of padding can sometimes mask mtu
mismatches.

HTH,
Kevin

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Jason Lixfeld <jason at lixfeld.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-03-25, at 3:34 PM, Randy wrote:
>
>> ...so a "sh ip int vlan x" says ip mtu 1998?
>> I can understand "sh int vlan x" would reflect the system mtu.
>> ./Randy
>
> Indeed.  show ip int does indeed inherit the routed MTU.
>
> So one other riddle - when I set the MTU of the ES port to 1600, the ISIS adjacency stays up.  Shouldn't that get torn down?

Cheers,
Kevin
 :: :: Kevin Hodle | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinhodle
 :: :: PGP Key ID  | fingerprint
 :: :: 0x803F24BE  | 1094 FB06 837F 2FAB C86B E4BE 4680 3679 803F 24BE

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a factor that decides
between success and failure. "
-Edsgar Dijkstra