[c-nsp] Testing New BGP Provider

Josh Coleman jcoleman at centauricom.com
Sat May 5 17:44:10 EDT 2012

Hi, Mitch

I put an example for you how you could test a few carrier routes aka
Cogent AS 174 and XO AS 2828 for your reference. The AS 3356 put what your
upstream provider is that one listed is Level3. This would allow you to
send a few outbound tests but not the entire Internet as you mentioned on
your post. Once your happy then start advertising your IP Prefix and
remove the DENY_ALL_PFX and see how that performs for inbound. But overall
your best results if your worried is just take it slow.

neighbor x.x.x.x activate
neighbor x.x.x.x soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor x.x.x.x prefix-list DENY_ALL_PFX out
neighbor x.x.x.x route-map set-local-isp-testing in

ip as-path access-list 20 permit ^3356_174_
ip as-path access-list 20 permit ^3356_2828$

ip as-path access-list 21 deny .*

ip prefix-list DENY_ALL_PFX seq 100 deny 0.0.0.0/0

route-map set-local-isp-testing  permit 10
 match as-path 20
 set local-preference 200
!
route-map set-local-isp-testing  permit 20
 match as-path 21
 set local-preference 1

> Whats the best way to go about testing a new service provider connection
> with BGP on a production router? Should I put the new connection in a VRF
> to receive the global routing table and make sure things work as expected?
> Or do I simply filter all routes initially and slowly permit a few
> individual routes to be sure things look correct? Router is an ASR9000.
> What
> do others typically do?
>
> Thanks!

> --