[c-nsp] ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question

David H ispcolohost at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:56:57 EDT 2012

Hi all, I've got a few general questions about the ASR.  On Cisco's
site sometimes I see reference to the 1004 having a 20 gig capacity,
other times 40.  Will the 1004 accept the ESP-40 and SIP40 interface
cards to get to 40 gigs or is the maximum really the ESP-20 and SIP10
cards?

2) Given a SIP10 card, does all traffic hit the backplane in the ASR
architecture or can routing occur within the four slots of the SIP
independently?  You probably realize I'm asking because I'm wondering
if the ten gig limit of the SIP10 applies if traffic is not leaving
the SIP.

3) I see a reference to how far SIP10 is allowed to be oversubscribed.
 Does that mean you could not actually enable four 1-port 10-gig cards
in it?  I'm looking at an application where only one of the ports
would be heavily used but would like to have multiple ten gig ports
for backup.

4) What happens when traffic hits the limit of the ESP model you have?  :-)

Thanks in advance!