[c-nsp] Possible to trunk over Serial or DSL?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed May 9 07:47:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 12:28:59PM +0100, Darren O'Connor wrote:
> I'm trying to find a possible way to run dot1q tags over serial and/or
> dsl interfaces. I could trunk over E1's on my old Riverstone kit without
> a problem, but I can't find a way to do it with a Cisco box.
>
> Is this possible?

Cisco can do *bridging* over E1, which might or might not do dot1q if
tagged packets are coming in via the to-be-bridged LAN interface.  Might
be worth a try :-)

If you want to do routing via those E1s, and have separate "virtual routers"
(what is dot1q to switches), take a look at either FrameRelay encapsulation
on the E1, or MPLS with VRF/Layer3 VPNs.  Or MPLS with Layer2 VPNs.

It's a bit unclear what you are trying to achieve...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de