[c-nsp] Timeout value on ASA

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Wed May 9 12:23:38 EDT 2012

Hi David,

Can you elaborate a little more about the xlate timeout, it's something I
never understood very well. For example, taking this output as an example:

ASA# sh xlate
2 in use, 229 most used
Flags: D - DNS, i - dynamic, r - portmap, s - static, I - identity, T -
twice
UDP PAT from IN:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/54337 to OUT:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/6630 flags ri
idle 0:00:01 timeout 0:00:30
TCP PAT from IN:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/1028 to OUT:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/5281 flags ri
idle 0:00:13 timeout 0:00:30

Why do we see 30 seconds as the timeout ? By default it's 3 hours:

ASA# sh runn timeout
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat
0:05:00
timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-disconnect
0:02:00
timeout sip-provisional-media 0:02:00 uauth 0:05:00 absolute
timeout tcp-proxy-reassembly 0:01:00
timeout floating-conn 0:00:00
ASA#

timeout xlate:

Configure idle time after which a dynamic address will be returned to the
free pool, default is 3:00:00

The output above was taken from an ASA. For example, this FWSM reflects the
timeout correctly as configured globally (25 minutes):

FWSM# sh xlate debug
Flags: D - DNS, d - dump, I - identity, i - inside, n - no random,
       o - outside, r - portmap, s - static
45 in use, 281 most used
NAT from IN:172.23.254.149 to OUT:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx flags i idle 0:06:35
timeout 0:25:00 connections 1
NAT from IN:172.23.254.155 to OUT:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx flags i idle 0:00:54
timeout 0:25:00 connections 0
NAT from IN:172.23.254.167 to OUT:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx flags i idle 0:00:14
timeout 0:25:00 connections 6

This debug option is not available on the ASA.

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)
amsoares at netcabo.pt