[c-nsp] Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Wed May 9 13:38:38 EDT 2012

We use timers 2 and 6 on multiple sets of 6500s with a relatively large number of VLANs.
The 6500 has a much less powerful CPU and seems to handle it ok.
However, the 7200 is a software device so through traffic can have a major effect on CPU.
It may be you have large high BW bursts during backups or something similar.
You should probably do some correlation analysis before blaming the BGP.
If you are getting that kind of BGP event on a nightly  basis you should probably talk to your provider.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect