[c-nsp] best for IPTV: pure L3 multicast, Draft Rosen MVPN or MLDP based MVPN?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon May 14 08:46:33 EDT 2012

On Monday, May 14, 2012 02:37:40 PM adam vitkovsky wrote:

> Unfortunately the Q1'13 is a bit late for our project
> where we'd like to implement this on as9k's...

I do have to agree.

We couldn't buy any ASR9000's as far back as 2010, or even
when I left the company a couple of months ago, just because
of this.

Cisco are forcing operators to use mLDP without BGP C-
Multicast support, which is the same fight they had with
Juniper on how VPLS pw's should be signaled.

We know how that turned out, and now that Juniper have been
supporting mLDP as a data plane signaling method for NG-MVPN
since Junos 11.2, Cisco really have no choice but to join
the club.

> and me3600x
> and -cx

Of the non-IOS XR boxes, I only know of the ASR1000 which
will be getting support.

We were pushing Cisco for NG-MVPN support on the
ME3600X/3800X, but we're more likely to see Rosen first
before anything sexier, unfortunately.

> Even though NG-MVPN is really cool technology  I
> wonder whether the Cisco's implementation of NG-MVPN is
> going to be mature enough when implemented on as9k and
> me3600 -i.e. how much did they learn from other's
> players mistakes in this field

Luckily for them, Juniper have done all the hardwork. What
will hold Cisco back in taking advantage of Juniper's rather
mature implementation will be their stubbornness, that's
all.

Juniper started implementing NG-MVPN since Junos 8.5, and
you can see how far the code has come in Junos 10.4 (the
last one I considered stable, although more NG-MVPN features
have come since then).

> The most appealing I find about the NG-MVPN is the
> ability to utilize mpls and its protection mechanisms

This is a huge advantage, and while Cisco claim you can do
FRR with mLDP also, you'd still be nesting the LDP session
within an RSVP tunnel - unnecessary overhead.

> I believe the MoFRR is not going to be feasible with
> me3600x acting as PE in some locations -so possibly we
> could use the p2mp mpls-te in the global table -just for
> the protected distribution of IPTV and draft Rosen to
> carry customer multicast traffic

There has been some discussion about interworking Rosen with
NG-MVPN, but it's not as straightforward as one might
assume.

Mark.