[c-nsp] Small DC switch design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 16 03:31:57 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 05:14:54 AM Dan Letkeman wrote:

> Most high bandwidth traffic is to and from the servers
> and sans, and would stay within the 4500-E, second to
> that would be the traffic from all of the users from all
> the buildings to and from the servers, and then all of
> the internet traffic.  Some of the things I would like
> to do with the me3600x is PBR, possibly some shaping or
> policing, eigrp routing, and some access lists.  Netflow
> would be nice, but it doesn't seem like it supports it.

Be mindful that while the ME3600X is, for all intents and
purposes, a switch which is also a decent router, much of
that functionality is not yet available in the software,
even though the hardware supports it.

And when the features do come, it's uncertain how they'll
perform in the wild, given the box is still relatively new.

Also remember that if you ever want to hold a full BGP IPv4
table, the ME3600X/3800X can't do it.

Mark.