[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Fri May 18 14:55:57 EDT 2012

In a datacenter environment, we typically deploy 4948 top-of-rack
switches with L2 uplinks to our 6500 core - Systems get connections into
two different switches and rely on OS NIC bonding (mostly Linux) to
support switch failures. Switches running STP and in the last four years
we've had no issues with this design (including failures of systems
connected to diverse switches).

A new proposed configuration utilizes stacked 3750X switches, where
servers would be connected to multiple switches within the same stack. I
have next to no experience in the low-end switches that do stacking, but
from a general risk management perspective, it seems like a many eggs
and single basket configuration.

Does anyone have any solid experience with 3750X switches, or stacking
in a datacenter in general? I've seen plenty of stacks for
closets/end-users, but I don't see many in a top-of-rack config. Is
Cisco stacking typically 'reliable', in that when a switch fails it will
leave the remainder of the stack functional? What about a software
issue? Does the whole stack crap out and reload, or does the master just
fail and a new one get elected?

I realize it's a pretty broad question, but it boils down to - Is a
stacked switch config significantly less reliable/resilient/available
than two TOR switches?

David