[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sun May 20 23:20:54 EDT 2012

Just to provide another data point / opinion...

We have 3560, 3560X, 3750, 3750E, 3750X all deployed, typically as CE
routers.  We are moving to 3750s to stack for redundancy.

Most are well-behaved with a few exceptions...

Any of the X-series with a microcode update can take 30 minutes or more
for the actual update.  That is the worst issue of all.  If you have a
stack those updates will be applied sequentially, so it can take hours
for a stack upgrade.

The E-series around 12.2(58) I think it was report SNMP interface
statistics somewhat randomly.  For etherchannels it may report errors as
the "sum of the members" rather than the individual members, resulting
in disasterous looking error rates.

The straight 3750s (3750-48s stacked) after update to one of the later
12.2 versions appeared to confuse outgoing tags on cross-stack
etherchannels and the result made them completely unusable; have backed
off to the last working release and hesitant to try any later release.

You will get discards at high data rates, but that seems to be par for
the course with anything in this series.

Jeff