[c-nsp] IPv6 Routing within VRF on Sup720

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 21 09:06:04 EDT 2012

On 21/05/12 13:25, Harald Michl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We do run some vrfs for special purpose routing issues. Currently all of
> them use only static routing and are only ipv4.
>
> We could get very soon the requirement to make them dual-stack which
> from my point of view shouldn't be any problem (our complete AS is
> already dual-stack at the global routing table).
>
> The other thing could be the requirement to run BGP within the VRF.
> While we do this successfully even on 3750 for years for IPv4 I'm afraid
> that it could be a show-stopper on our current Sup720 for IPv6 with
> currently this sw-release: s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI8.

Why? That IOS image should be fine; anything after SXH should permit
IPv6 within VRFs, including BGP on the right feature set.

It should be fine; we use IPv6 within VRFs including BGP within the VRF.

The main caveat is that you can only run one BGP process, so it's all:

router bgp 65000
   address-family ipv6 vrf XXX
     neighbor 2001:db8::1 ...

> Is there anybody out who already used BGP within IPv6 VRFs on Sup720? If

Yes, it works on sup720.

> not, would it work on Sup2T?

Yes, it also works on sup2t.