[c-nsp] Lot of input errors on a NPE-G1 interface

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu May 24 08:30:59 EDT 2012

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 02:19:39 PM Matlock, Kenneth L
wrote:

> I recently had a similar issue with a 7201 (which is
> effectively a NPE-G2). Keep in mind that a 7200 series
> platform is 100% software-based.

Except for the part where they said the 4th Gig-E port is a
PCI-X connection to the board and can run at line rate
independently.

Never did quite figure that one out :-).

> And NPE-G2 is rated for 1024Mb/sec. This is aggregate
> throughput, meaning you can do 1024mb/sec in one
> direction, or 512mb/sec each direction before
> overrunning the box. This is with no services running,
> static routes, etc. Talked to my SE and found out that
> performance with QoS drops to 512mb/sec aggregate, and
> with Netflow it dropped to 256mb/sec. (aggregate).

We used the NPE-G2 as a core router many, many years ago,
and extratced 950Mbps from it (aggregate) with 0% packet
loss at 91% CPU utilization. v6, v6, MPLS, IS-IS, LDP, RSVP.

Mark.