[c-nsp] setting max mtu on switch (Jumbo)

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Tue May 29 04:40:38 EDT 2012

On 29/05/2012 6:09 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
>> Is it best practice to set all switches to max mtu?
>
> "Big enough to achieve what you need to achieve".  If all your L3 devices
> only use 1500 bps MTU, and no EoMPLS tunneling or whatnot, there is no
> real benefit in upping the switch MTU.  There does not seem to be a
> downside either, though.
>
> gert

I've often wondered about supposed downsides myself.  Why is it that we
don't see the layer 2 MTU set as high as possible on Cisco devices out
of the box, but a relatively "normal" routing MTU set to 1500 in the
default config?   Are there any "bad things" that could come out of this
config?

Some of the HP (Flex 10 etc) switches we run here do jumbos by default
and I don't think there is any way to lower it. Then again these are
storage switches so....

Reuben