[c-nsp] setting max mtu on switch (Jumbo)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 29 04:53:06 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 06:40:38PM +1000, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> I've often wondered about supposed downsides myself.  Why is it that we
> don't see the layer 2 MTU set as high as possible on Cisco devices out
> of the box, but a relatively "normal" routing MTU set to 1500 in the
> default config?   Are there any "bad things" that could come out of this
> config?

I've posed that question here on the list about half a year ago, and
nobody had to report anything negative...  so yes, I'm wondering as
well why the default isn't "9200 off the shelf".

One possible thought I had was that it could affect the internal memory
layout, with a larger MTU segmenting the memory into fewer + larger
buffers, but nobody was able to confirm that - at least not for the
6500...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de