[c-nsp] rate-limit rspan (6500/sup-720)

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Nov 12 06:43:54 EST 2012

On Nov 12, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Robert Williams wrote:

> Thus my question is, how do you rate-limit traffic before it is placed onto the rspan vlan? Or at least reduce its priority such that it has no impact at all on all other traffic egressing that port.

1.	You send it over your DCN/OOB network, not your production network.

2.	You selectively capture traffic via copy/capture VACLs.

3.	You consider moving away from SPAN/RSPAN to taps, keeping in mind #1 and #2, given the performance impact of SPAN/RSPAN.

4.	You upgrade to Sup2Ts and DFC4 linecards, and use sampled NetFlow, instead.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton