[c-nsp] rate-limit rspan (6500/sup-720)

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Sat Nov 10 08:07:57 EST 2012

Hi,

I often use rspan sessions to analyse traffic at remote locations but the capacity between the analyser and the source is less than the 'potential' traffic I could select for analysis. In these cases, I may be sourcing from a 10GB port and bringing that traffic to a remote location over another 10GB trunk port.

However, there was other (real) traffic on that trunk port before I enabled the rspan session, so my additional traffic could now exceed the 10GB available in total. Causing drops in the non-rspan traffic as it tries to egress the port along with the mirrored rpsan traffic.

Thus my question is, how do you rate-limit traffic before it is placed onto the rspan vlan? Or at least reduce its priority such that it has no impact at all on all other traffic egressing that port.

The platform in question is the 6500 / Sup-720

Cheers!

Robert Williams

Backline / Operations Team

[cid:imagebb6f00.jpg at 35911d65.da914b8c]<http://www.CustodianDC.com/>

Tel:

+44 (0)1622 230 382

Email:
        Robert at CustodianDC.com<mailto:support at CustodianDC.com>

Web:

www.CustodianDC.com<http://www.CustodianDC.com/>

status.CustDC.net<http://status.custdc.net/>

[cid:image88c578.png at 4689dc14.aa6f4a3e]