[c-nsp] Spanning Tree help sought

Christopher Gray Christopher.Gray at Newscope-Solutions.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 11:36:08 EST 2012

Justin,

Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> responded

> It's generally a good idea to set one switch to be your root bridge
> (STP priority of 0).  In your topology, the switch that is connected
> to your primary WAN router would make the most sense.  You can also
> set a higher STP priority like 4096 on the switch that connects to your
backup
> WAN router.

> You can set a higher spanning-tree link cost on the link between
> C and D, and you really wouldn't need to set link costs on the others.
> When the other switches run their STP calculations, they'll see two
> paths to the root bridge, and one will have a higher path cost, so that
> should go into a Blocked state and be listed as an alternate path.

> You didn't say if you were running PVST/PVST+/rPVST/MST or
> if you have VTP domains, etc.

RSTP is running on A & B but C&D are too old.  I'm about to upgrade C & D
and they will run RSTP.
No MST or VTP domains.  We are looking to set up VLANs and separate out such
as video (e.g. video conferencing) and low-priority back-up traffic in due
course.

>> Question 2: Should I set all non-uplink (interswitch) ports as
"disabled"?

> I think this might be worded somewhat backwards.  Your inter-switch links
> would be your uplinks.  You need to run spanning-tree there.  Cisco
generally
> doesn't allow spanning-tree to be disabled on specific ports.  You can set
them
> as access ports in a specific VLAN if needed, and run portfast.  DO NOT
run
> portfast on trunk ports.  I think newer versions of IOS will yell at you
if you
> try to do this, but in older versions, it was a great way to create
bridging loops :(

I will run portfast on all non-fibre ports (Fibre is only used for the
inter-switch links).
> jms

Many thanks for the above.  Chris