[c-nsp] can not configure modem by router

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Sun Nov 18 03:59:48 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, s m wrote:
> thanks Juergen
> what i've got from your words is: for connecting modem to cisco we should
> reverse send and receive while for connecting cisco to PC it should be
> straight. is it true or i  misunderstand what you mean?

exactly the opposite:

For Cisco to PC you need a rolled cable as both devices classify as DTE (Data Terminal Equipment).

For Cisco to Modem you need a straight cable as the modem is a DCE (Date Communication Equipment).

The blue console cable is a rolled cable. If you look at the connectors closely and you will see the colors reversed.

So just grab a regular patch cable and you should be fine.

Greetings
Christain

> this connection is so important for me therefore i want to buy a cable but
> don't know what exactly cable i should buy. please help me to buy a correct
> one.
>
> thanks for your attention
>
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Juergen Marenda <cnsp at marenda.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 02:22:58PM +0330, s m wrote:
>>> hello guys
>>>
>>> i wanna connect a modem to a 2800 router by AUX port. this is my
>>> configuration:
>>> modem InOut
>>> modem autoconfigure discovery
>>> transport input all
>>> stopbits 1
>>> speed 38400
>>> flowcontrol hardware
>>>
>>> the speed value changes because "mode autoconfigure discovery" is set.
>>>
>>> i used blue console cable RJ45 to DB9 for connecting AUX port to modem.
>>
>> use the black cable or the supplied 9-to-25 CON-MODEM-adapter.
>> the light-blue cable is to connect to a PC-AT Serial Port.
>>
>> Or crimp an RJ45 Plug reverse on the router's end of the cable .
>>
>> Or use a NULLmodemcable beetween Modem and DB9 "con" .
>>
>> You should be able to telnet ip-of-your-router 2001 ,
>> authenticate at router, and then speak with the modem.
>>
>> If you connect PC with Hyperterm instead of the modem,
>> and this works, then it will not work with the modem,
>> and you need to get/build a fitting cable, see above.
>>

>> [...]
>>> i read when the connection is correct, modem hardware stats should be CTS
>>>  not noCTS. moreover i can not do reverse telnet to modem.
>>
>> YOur cabling is wrong, both sides SEND and RECIVE Lines are connected
>> together
>> (RS232 i must be shorit-ciruit proof, +-12 V...)
>>>
>>> please let me know how i should fix it and configure my modem by  AT
>>> commands.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Juergen.

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer