[c-nsp] SRX110 and Cisco2970 MSTP issue

Ali Sumsam ali+cisconsp at eintellego.net
Mon Nov 19 18:05:22 EST 2012

Hi,
Does anyone has any experience of running MSTP between SRX110 and Cisco
(particularly Cisco2970)?

I have deployed a pair of SRX110 connected to a pair of Cisco2970, in a way
that both the SRX100s are connected to both the Cisco2970 switches through
trunk links.

If I try to set the priority on one of the SRX110 to become root bridge,
MSTP seems to be converged but there are huge packet losses in the network.
I removed the priority and one of the cisco2970 became root and then
everything seems to be fine. No packet loss after that.

Just wondering why there is a problem if MSTP is converged and all devices
seem to be agreeing on root bridge.

Any experience or thoughts, please share.

Regards,

*Ali Sumsam CCIE*
*Network Engineer - Level 3*
eintellego Pty Ltd
ali at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)410 603 531

facebook.com/eintellego
PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM