[c-nsp] 3750x Alternatives

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Mon Nov 19 20:00:56 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM, CiscoNSP_list CiscoNSP_list <
cisconsp_list at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2 x 4500-e with Sup7e +  WS-X4748-RJ45-E + WS-X4612-SFP-E ?
> Or 2 x 4500x with similar ports as 4500-e
> Or 2 x Nexus 5548
>
> Is there a big price difference between these?

Contact your Cisco reseller. He may be able to provide you with a global
price list so that you can see the relative price of all the items. You
will want some form of support on these boxes as well as you NEED to be
able to download updates.

Otherwise you will have me here all day working out Cisco prices :)

Based on my gut feeling - I would think that the best solution for you
would probably be a c4506 with a Sup7E. You could get your redundancy by
using spanning tree rather than port channels until VSS becomes
available. The 4500s are also quite a good layer 3 switch so you ever
require layer 3 functionality. (Extra licenses however).

NOTE: I can of course not guarantee that Cisco will bring out VSS for the
4500s or that it won't be an extra cost on the Sup7E - I can only state
what I have read.

Regards

Andrew