[c-nsp] Copper SFPs (wasRe: sup2t XL with non XL linecards)

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Fri Nov 23 00:35:23 EST 2012

On 2012-11-23, at 12:16 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> Do they do 10/100/1000 ? My experience is that they are fine for 1000 and sometimes 100, but not 10.

Like a charm.  XR 4.2.1 added autoneg so we can force the speed and set autoneg to only advertise the speed we hard code.  This lets the client side stay at auto and only negotiate up to our set speed, even if the far side is 1000 and we're hard coded for 10/auto.

The only caveat is that autoneg is disabled by default so sometimes we may need to adjust accordingly depending on how compliant customer gear is at negotiating to gig if our side isn't set to auto.

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/6/0/2
 speed 10
 negotiation auto
!

interface GigabitEthernet0/6/0/7
 speed 100
 negotiation auto
!

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:#sh int g0/6/0/2 | i link
Fri Nov 23 00:30:07.198 EST
  Full-duplex, 10Mb/s, THD, link type is autonegotiation
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:#sh int g0/6/0/7 | i link
Fri Nov 23 00:30:12.428 EST
  Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, THD, link type is autonegotiation
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:#sh int g0/6/0/8 | i link
Fri Nov 23 00:30:24.704 EST
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, THD, link type is force-up
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:pe04.151FrontStW01.YYZ#