[c-nsp] Copper SFPs (wasRe: sup2t XL with non XL linecards)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Nov 23 04:25:07 EST 2012

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

>Decent copper SFPs are a dime a dozen these days.  I've probably
>got hundreds of them deployed and have never had one go bad on me.

cuSFP are notoriously problematic compared to fibre SFP. If you've never
had problem, consider yourself lucky. Platforms which seem to accept any
fibre SFP often are very allergic with what cuSFP they accept.

Juniper MX only works correctly with methode electric, all other either
don't work, or are always up. Even when nothing is connected.

Cisco small catalysts seem to want proper EEPROM code, even though you have
service unsupported-transceiver.

Btw. If anyone knows of 'down rate' SFP, SFP which will do 100M on 1GE
RGMII, lemme know. I'm surprised these aren't commonly available. Consider
how often switches these days do only 1GE and 10GE, then you have even new
equipment where MGMT port is only 100M so you need to buy another switch
just to down-rate one port.

--
  ++ytti