[c-nsp] RIPE 554, availability of required IPv6 features

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sat Nov 24 08:32:59 EST 2012

This is broader than just Cisco, but I'm thinking many people here have
experience with other vendors' equipment.

We have an RFP out for L2 aggregation equipment and have included the
two sections of RIPE 554's "Requirements for enterprise/ISP grade
\"Layer 2 switch\" equipment". One is a list of mandatory requirements
listing the following:

 - MLDv2 snooping
 - DHCPv6 filtering
 - RA filtering
 - Dynamic "IPv6 Neighbor solic./adv." inspection
 - NUD filtering
 - DAD snooping and filtering

We're hearing a complaint that these features are simply not generally
available. I would've guessed that an official RIPE document with a
rather impressive list of real world operators behind it would not
categorize anything as mandatory unless it

 1) was already generally implemented or
 2) is easy to implement or
 3) is absolutely critical.

Are my assumptions wrong? We're (in part politically) not allowed to
require anything that only one or two vendors would be able to fulfill,
though something that lives up to one of the three points above
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Peter