[c-nsp] IP LFA in ring topology

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Fri Nov 30 09:44:08 EST 2012

>load your IGP up with the soft state from multicast; it can be potentially
large, and frequently-changing
>PIM has to deal with the whole register/register-stop and other junk
Right these are relevant arguments of course
But the mcast states doesn't necessarily need to be carried by the same
process as your PE loopbacks
My point is, that because we don't have mcast routes/states in link state
protocol we can't deploy any reasonable fast reroute technique for mcast
flows

I guess it's all because back in the days the RP cycles where meant to be
used up primarily by ip forwarding and nobody wanted any more complicated
control protocols than the necessary minimum to take up the available cycles

adam