[c-nsp] Sharing router uplinks?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 1 09:29:58 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 05:46:30 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> It is doable but not optimal. It is questionable if any
> benefits can be extracted in well designed network this
> way.

I've had discussions with other operators in the past, who
have been used to have a direct interconnect between routers
in the PoP, and optionally, links to an Ethernet switch to
aggregate downstream devices.

I've tended to re-use the switched capacity and ignore the
point-to-point link between the routers, at all bandwidth
levels. Been doing that for the last several years, and no
major drama - especially if you're not fully utilizing the
ports on a point-to-point link.

Certain topologies will require traffic mapping between
routers more consistently, but those would be few and far
between at the scale points affecting this decision,
depending on the operation, e.g., MPLS-TE, IGP-based load
sharing from upstream/downstream of the core network, e.t.c.

> - You can possibly save port counts,...

Which is not an unreasonable goal, particularly if ports
cost additional money, space or power that one might not
have.

> but you lose
> hardware liveliness detection, as you have switch
> between core devices. Which means high convergence time
> (lower quality) and possibly increased complexity (BFD).

I've been running such topologies for several years, and IS-
IS + BFD have not inconvenienced me once, whether in drills
or real failure scenarios.

Cheers,

Mark.