[c-nsp] remove spanning-tree without being service effecting

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 1 09:29:52 EDT 2012

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:39:32 PM James Urwiller
wrote:

> Hopefully next year's budget will allow me to upgrade the
> appropriate equipment so that I can use another ring
> protection mechanism such as REP, ERP, or MRP.  This is
> just a stop gap until the brocades are fixed or I can
> upgrade my core network.  With all the voice and video I
> have running, spanning-tree wasn't really doing the
> trick for me anyway with the long protection times.

For next year's budget, might be time to consider going
IP/MPLS.

Much has been said about Cisco's ME3600X. Brocade also have
the CER/CES 2000 device. These will support IP and MPLS in
the Access layer, and you can forget about spanning tree
forever.

We did, and have been in deep sleep everytime the hour hand
chimes 3AM :-).

Mark.