[c-nsp] Any fairly inexpensive ways to add 1G ports to an ASR9001?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Oct 6 09:51:34 EDT 2012

On Sunday, September 02, 2012 06:16:38 PM Drew Weaver wrote:

> So from what I can tell there is only 1 module to add 1G
> ports to an ASR9001 and it has a ton of ports and is
> relatively expensive.
>
> Aside from just connecting one of the 10G ports to a
> 10G/1G switch, are there any 1G modules that have fewer
> ports or maybe one that has both 10G and 1G ports?

The only combo line cards that integrate both 1Gbps and
10Gbps are the bigger chassis line cards. Those normally run
at at least 40Gbps, meaning 2x 10Gbps + 20x 1Gbps. But
that's going to be too big for you, even if you consider a
modular line card + MPA's in a somewhat similar
configuration.

In many ways, the ASR9001 is like the MX80.

Right now, Cisco support a 20x 1Gbps MPA for the ASR9001.
Using a modular line card, these same MPA's can be deployed
in the larger chassis of the family, ASR9006, ASR9010 and
ASR9922.

If you look closely, you have a similar relationship between
the MX80 with the MIC's, as well as the MX240, MX480 and
MX960 with the MPC's.

Given the switching capacity of even the baby ASR9001, and
the fact that MPA's are re-usable across the entire product
line, I see no reason to indicate that Cisco will make an
MPA smaller than 20Gbps; whether as less than 2x 10Gbps or
less than 20x 1Gbps.

FWIW, I'm not sure I see Juniper doing the same for the MX
line either, but I could be wrong, and you likely want to
chat to your SE about the same.

Otherwise, as you suggest, trunking cheap switch ports to
the one of the in-built 10Gbps ports on the ASR9001 is
likely the way to go.

Cheers,

Mark.