[c-nsp] forced up/up on a fiber link

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Oct 22 07:51:06 EDT 2012

On (2012-10-22 22:29 +1100), Damian Holdcroft wrote:

> Either way, I would imagine a fibre port would not play ball. It would be a
> potential hazard - a laser firing into air could damage some eyes. I
> haven't seen a fibre port report link-up without something to participate.

All SFP/XFP/XENPAK/SFP+ I've seen happily 'fire into air'. I've not seen in
SFP specification any way to event detect if cable is plugged or not.

As homework, go to your lab and point your mobile phone camera to laser TX,
preferably SR or something, as your IR filer may cut out 15xxnm.

set gigaether-options loopback. Is enough to bring fibre interface 'up'
from RPD point of view in JunOS.
But even without that, the laser is firing until 'set disable' (and this
works in MX, but not in all JNPR, in many JNPR here is no way to turn laser
off)

--
  ++ytti