[c-nsp] Overflows During Microbursts on Cisco Switch

Eric Oosting eric.oosting at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:54:12 EDT 2012

Without further information, at least a topology, switch models, and
traffic information, you aren't going to get much feedback short of
generalities. So here goes.

Buffer overflows may be solved in general by two main methodologies:

1) buffer management - Ensure that what limited buffers you are have
allocated in the most efficient way. If you have QoS on, some switches
default config can dedicate bufferes to largely unused or underused queues.
Or turn off QoS entirely. If you must have QoS turned on, and you must
throw traffic away, try to throw away traffic you care less about.

2) traffic management - Consider the effects of mis-matched interface
speeds within your network. Consider the impact of oversubscription of
uplink and access ports. That is, reduce buffer use by adding capacity to
drain queues before the fill.

-e