[c-nsp] Understanding ASR1k variants

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Tue Oct 30 12:46:51 EDT 2012

Cisco-NSP'ers,

Due to a requirement to deploy CGN, I'm looking at the Cisco ASR1k range for
the first time, and I'm a little confused about the different variants of
RP, ESP, SIP, etc - and I'm hoping someone can clarify things a bit.

I'm looking for a box which can route 10GE to 10GE at linerate.

What's the difference between the RP1 and RP2? The only obvious difference from
reading the datasheets is the amount of memory?

With the ESP, because I want to route 10GE to 10GE, is it right that I need the
ESP20, as I'm looking at 2 * 10GBps of traffic (ingres + egress)?

Likewise with the SIP, the SIP10 won't be fast enough for full 10GE to 10GE, so
I need the SIP40?

Bringing this all together, if I'm looking for a box that can do 10GE to 10GE,
then the smallest ASR1k that will do this is the ASR1002-X? As well as the
chassis, I'd need to buy the 20Gbps license, the IP Base license for the RP,
and 2 * 10GE SPAs?

Many thanks,

Simon