[c-nsp] Understanding ASR1k variants

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:46:48 EDT 2012

RP = control plan brains. The differences in RP will be CPU power and
memory. I can't find exact CPU numbers but I'm pretty sure the RP2 is
faster

FP/ESP = data plane horsepower. Your pps numbers come from the ESP
capabilities. The larger the ESP the more packets per second. There
will also be impact with the scalability of data plane features like
nat or acls.

SIP = module performance. All modules aggregate to the ESP for actual
forwarding decision but the ability to support a bps rate will be
based on the capabilities of the SIP.

For 20gig aggregate you might be able to get away with a ASR1002-X